Wednesday, February 24, 2010

mmmm...mexican meatloaf


For my personal blogs, I would like to look a new "healthier version" recepie every week. I want to make it and try it and share my opinion on its deliciosity.

This week I made mexican meatloaf.


1/2 lb extra lean ground beef1/2 lb lean ground turkey2 large egg whites2 oz cornbread stuffing mix (about 1 cup)1 medium onion1/2 tsp chili powder1/4 tsp ground cumin4 oz can green chili peppers, diced8 oz canned enchilada sauce
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray. Combine beef, turkey, egg whites, onion, suffing mix, chili powder, cumin, chilis and 1/2 enchilada sauce. Shape into a loaf on the broiler pan. Cook for 1 hour. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cook another 5 minutes.


Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 226.8
Total Fat: 11.8 g
Cholesterol: 55.0 mg
Sodium: 317.6 mg
Total Carbs: 12.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
Protein: 17.6 g


I have to say for being a healthier version, this meatloaf was awesome. Its a little high in sodium, but it has good protein and fiber. the portions were huge, I could only eat half a piece. I made it with 1lb lean turkey, because I cannot afford the regular way, and it was still just as good. To make this dish only cost me 5 dollars (at walmart), not bad for a broke college student. This meatloaf also makes great leftovers. It takes a while to cook, but the wait is worth it.
Quote of the day: Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.

No comments:

Post a Comment