Thursday, April 22, 2010

aaahhh-choo


Why do people say "bless you" when someone sneezes? It seems like a silly tradition. It origionated because back in the old days, people felt that when you sneeze your soul is trying to escape your body. They said "bless you" to keep a soul from escaping a body. Why is my soul trying to get away from my body so badly? I thought we were having fun. How did this tradition stay around for so long? Do we still believe that the soul can escape through the nostrils? And when did it become the responsibility of complete strangers to keep A soul in tact. How come you've never heard anyone bless themselves? I would think that if a simple "bless me" was the only thing keeping me a whole person, I would do it.

There's a whole social attachment that comes with a sneeze too. Some people say "god bless you" because they feel that they do not have the divine power to bless someone. Others might get offended at this because they are athiest. If you're in a quiest room with one other person and they don't say "bless you" at your sneeze, do you automatically think that they're kind of a jerk. What about if you're in a quiet room with six other people? Who's gonna step up to the plate? And then there's the "excuse me." which basically means "you jerks! how come no one blessed me when I sneezed? My last question is this... How many times does a person have to sneeze before you can legally tell them to leave and go get some cold medicine?

No comments:

Post a Comment