Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Procrastination

I am a master procrastinator. I feel like I should be standing up in front of a peer support group saying that. “Hi I’m Carmen and I’m a procrastinator.” I have literally spent my 16 years of schooling finding the easiest way to do something at the last minute. I have discovered that there is an art to prioritizing at the last minute. It starts with the question; what is required and not required? Once the required elements have been established, the next question is; what is due the soonest? The most important question to ask is; what is weighted the most and how much effort do I really need to put forth? The final and equally essential question to ask is; how well do I need to do on this assignment to make a decent grade in the class (again asking how much effort should be put into this)? Then I make multiple spreadsheets with this information to keep me organized through the procrastination process.
I’m just being honest.
Wikipedia.com says: "Procrastination refers to the counterproductive deferment of actions or tasks to a later time. Psychologists often cite such behavior as a mechanism for coping with the anxiety associated with starting or completing any task or decision. There are three criteria for a behavior to be classified as procrastination: it must be counterproductive, needless, and delaying."


(I find all three of those to be essential parts of procrastination.)


“Procrastination may result in stress, a sense of guilt and crisis, severe loss of personal productivity, as well as societal disapproval for not meeting responsibilities or commitments. These feelings combined may promote further procrastination. While it is regarded as normal for people to procrastinate to some degree, it becomes a problem when it impedes normal functioning. Chronic procrastination may be a sign of an underlying psychological disorder.”


Psychological disorder?? Whoa! Let’s not get carried away now.


I have usually been proud of my procrastination skills up until this moment when I look at how much stuff I actually have to do. This is the point when I start kicking myself. I literally have 15 more blogs after this one to do. Holy cow! thats a lot. I guess its time to get busy then huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment